Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Running SBP from command-line (Read 14260 times)
hs
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Running SBP from command-line
Nov 15th, 2010 at 7:42am

I succeeded to run SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf from GUI based on page 52 in 'hyphybook2007.pdf', but I still don't figure out how to run this analysis from a command-line. Can HYPHY GUI Console print the command-line description for this analysis?. Which documents should I read to familiar with it?

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Running SBP from command-line
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 11:13am

Hi hs,

hs wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 7:42am:
I succeeded to run SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf from GUI based on page 52 in 'hyphybook2007.pdf', but I still don't figure out how to run this analysis from a command-line. Can HYPHY GUI Console print the command-line description for this analysis?. Which documents should I read to familiar with it?

You should be able to use the command line version of HyPhy almost exactly the same way as you would the GUI version. Basically, there are three modes of operation:
  • Run HYPHY from the command line using $HYPHYMP BASEPATH=/path/to/hyphy/installation (replacing the latter with the appropriate path in your system); this will display the list of options, much like the standard analysis menu in the GUI does, at which point you follow the same steps.
  • Run HYPHY and give in the path to the file you want to execute, e.g $HYPHYMP BASEPATH=/path/to/hyphy/installation /path/to/hyphy/installation/TemplateBatchFiles/SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf
  • Automate job submission as described in section in 2.8 hyphybook.pdf

Sergei

Associate Professor
    Division of Infectious Diseases
    Division of Biomedical Informatics
    School of Medicine
    University of California San Diego
    WWW WWW  
    IP Logged

hs
    YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 1:07pm

I cannot fine $HYPHYMP executable file in the HYPHY folder (Mac OS X Universal Binary) although 'README' states 'HYPHYMP (Multiprocessor)'. Where is it available? Thank you

IP Logged

Sergei
    YaBB Administrator

UCSD
    Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 1:14pm

Hi there,

You need to compile a command line version separately. Follow the instructions at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

Sergei

Associate Professor
    School of Medicine
    WWW WWW  
    IP Logged

hs
    YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 4:09pm

(1)
    For v1.0 release, 'bash build.sh MP2' succeeded to produce HYPHYMP.
    For v2.0 developmental build, 'bash buildFromSVN.sh' failed and printed the following messages:
    ##########
    cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-fopenmp"
    Error during compilation
    Darwin
    gtk_build.sh: line 20: pkg-config: command not found
    ##########

(2)
    Running
    './HYPHYMP BASEPATH=. TemplateBatchFiles/SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf' where current directory (.) is 'HYPHY_Source'
    printed './TemplateBatchFiles/Locate a nucleotide data  file::'
    Then, input data file 'InfluenzaA_H3_Random35.nex' located at current directory printed as follows:
    ##########
    ./TemplateBatchFiles/Locate a nucleotide data  file::InfluenzaA_H3_Random35.nex
    Error:
    Could not find source dataset file:PROMPT_FOR_FILE Path stack: {/Users/hs/HYPHY_Source/,./TemplateBatchFiles/}
    Current BL Command:Read Data Set ds from file PROMPT_FOR_FILE

Check errors.log for details on execution errors.

Check messages.log details of this run.
    ##########
    Why should data file be located at not current directory (.) but 'TemplateBatchFiles' directory?

IP Logged

Sergei
    YaBB Administrator

UCSD
    Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:18pm

Hi hs,

For (1) you need gcc version 4.2 or later (comes with OS X.6). I would strongly recommend that you use v2.0 because v1.0 had a number of issues that could lead to incorrect inference in newer analyses (like SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf).

For (2) please supply the FULL path (e.g. /Users/name/....) '.' is a relative path, whereas HYPHY requires an absolute path. Same for datafiles when prompted.

Sergei

Associate Professor
    School of Medicine
    WWW WWW  
    IP Logged

hs
    YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:14am

Hello

(1)
    For v2.0, when I edit the 'build.sh' file (COMPILER="g++-4.2"; COMPILERC="gcc-4.2"Wink, 'bash buildFromSVN.sh' succeeded to produce HYPHYMP, although it still printed the following messages:
    ##########
    gtk_build.sh: line 20: pkg-config: command not found
    *snip*
    cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-fopenmp"
    Error during compilation
    ##########

(2)
    The following command-line descriptions with absolute path successfully finished.
    mydir=/Users/$USER/hyphy/HYPHY
    $mydir/HYPHYMP BASEPATH=$mydir $mydir/TemplateBatchFiles/SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf < answers.txt >& stdout.txt
    where the 'answers.txt' file contains:
    ##########
    /Users/$USER/InfluenzaA_H3_Random35.nex
    CUSTOM
    output.txt
    ##########
    Although $PWD=/Users/$USER and BASEPATH=/Users/$USER/hyphy/HYPHY, it still printed
    '/Users/$USER/hyphy/HYPHY/TemplateBatchFiles/Locate a nucleotide data  file::'
    '/Users/$USER/hyphy/HYPHY/TemplateBatchFiles/Save results to::'

(3)
    After installing from Source (v2.0), SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf from GUI (Mac OS X Universal Binary) cannot progress after typing 'Please enter a 6 character model designation (e.g:010010 defines HKY85):012212'

Thank you,

IP Logged

Sergei
    YaBB Administrator

UCSD
    Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 1:00pm

Hi hs,

I am not sure what you mean 'cannot progress after typing' in Step 3. Did you use a command line version (v2.0) built from source to run the analysis from the GUI distribution? What happens when you type in 012212?

Sergei

Associate Professor
    School of Medicine
    WWW WWW  
    IP Logged

hs
    YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:27pm

I used GUI version (Mac OS X Universal Binary) to implement SingleBreakpointRecomb.bf. After selecting 'CUSTOM' and then [OK] in 'Choose one of the standard models' window, HYPHY Console printed 'Please enter a 6 character model designation (e.g:010010 defines HKY85):'. Then, I typed 012212 and [enter] but nothing happened.
    A GUI version (Mac OS X) and command line version (v2.0) are incompatible, and installing both version can cause this problem?

IP Logged

Sergei
    YaBB Administrator

UCSD
    Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 11:23am

Hi hs,

Did you type 012212 in the lower part (entry box) of the console window -- see screenshot? You should also be able to install both the GUI and the command line version -- they live in separate directories and should not conflict with one another.

Sergei

Associate Professor
    School of Medicine
    WWW WWW  
    IP Logged

hs
    YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 4:49pm

When I typed 012212 in the lower part (entry box) of the console window, it worked well. Thank you.

I run SBP on '12.phy' from different HyPhy versions.
    (1) command line version (Source v2.0 developmental build Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login) on Mac OS X (10.5.8) succeeded.
    (2) command line version (C/C++ Source. Linux/gcc Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login) on x86_64 GNU/Linux failed, and printed the following error messages in 'messages.log'.
    Row and/or column partition is empty. All the data will be used by default.Incompatible Matrix Dimensions Exiting...
    Current BL Command:totalSitesCompared=Transpose(summingVector)*(siteDifferenceCount*summing
    Vector)
    (3) GUI version (Mac OS X Universal Binary) on Mac OS X (10.5.8) also failed, and printed the error messages.

IP Logged

Sergei
    YaBB Administrator

UCSD
    Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 4:57pm

Hi hs,

I think both versions (2) and (3) are outdated. (2) definitely is. Could you confirm that (3) was downloaded from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (the link on Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

Sergei

hs wrote on Nov 19th, 2010 at 4:49pm:
    When I typed 012212 in the lower part (entry box) of the console window, it worked well. Thank you.

I run SBP on '12.phy' from different HyPhy versions.
    (1) command line version (Source v2.0 developmental build Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login) on Mac OS X (10.5.8) succeeded.
    (2) command line version (C/C++ Source. Linux/gcc Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login) on x86_64 GNU/Linux failed, and printed the following error messages in 'messages.log'.
    Row and/or column partition is empty. All the data will be used by default.Incompatible Matrix Dimensions Exiting...
    Current BL Command:totalSitesCompared=Transpose(summingVector)*(siteDifferenceCount*summing
    Vector)
    (3) GUI version (Mac OS X Universal Binary) on Mac OS X (10.5.8) also failed, and printed the error messages.

Associate Professor
    School of Medicine
    WWW WWW  
    IP Logged

hs
    YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 9:43pm

(3) is also outdated..

[Questions]
    (i) In most alignments analyzed, SBP detected breakpoints based on AIC and AIC-c, while no recombination based on BIC. Would you use BIC to judge presence of recombination in alignments?
    (ii) SBP may be affected by the number of sequences in alignments? (alignments must include at least four sequences to detect phylogenetic incongruence)
    (iii) SBP may falsely detect recombination due to the presence of positive selection?

[References]
    (i)
    Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login
    BIC was selected because it had the best power/accuracy performance in our initial simulation studies, comparing AIC [36], AIC-c [37] and BIC
    (ii)
    Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login
    We noticed that when samples were reduced, the GARD algorithm found a significantly higher number of recombination breakpoints. For example, in the nef gene of HIV-2, when 24 sequences were used, only one breakpoint was inferred. When downsized to 10 sequences, four breakpoints were estimated.
    (iii)
    We note that large scale surveys for recombination using traditional detection software [e.g., [22]] are possible, but such programs likely suffer from an inverse effect, i.e. recombination may be falsely detected due to the presence of positive selection.

IP Logged

Sergei
    YaBB Administrator

UCSD
    Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 9:53pm

Hi hs,

First, please remember that SBP finds evidence that a two-tree model is better than a one-tree model. If you want to establish recombination, you should confirm this using topological incongruence testing (e.g. SH).

(1) BIC is VERY conservative in this case; we only conducted simulations based on c-AIC. The only reason to use BIC is for alignments which are too short for c-AIC to be computable

(2). That is true -- for a fixed sequence length, the power of SBP may to be reduced for more sequences. Here's a simple explanation -- say you have 3 non-recombinant sequences and 1 recombinant sequences. The effect on the topology from one sequence is going to be major relative to the size of the topology (1/4 of the tree). Now imagine this for 100 non-recombinant sequences and 1 recombinant -- now recombination only affects ~1/100 of the tree, hence a lower signal. Both SBP and GARD are quite conservative, so if your alignment is mostly comprised of non-recombinant sequences, then you will lose power as you add more of them.

(3). SBP may be influenced by positive selection, sure. It would have to be pretty pervasive AND localized in a contiguous part of the sequence though -- and it probably would not pass through the SH post-processor. If you find an empirical example of this somewhere, I would be interested of hearing about it.

Sergei

Associate Professor
    School of Medicine
    WWW WWW  
    IP Logged

hs
    YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 7:10am

SBP can perform SH testing? If not, I would select 'KH Testing' (Run 1 or 2). How many KH samples should be drawn per breakpoint?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2