YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

hyphybook2007.pdf (Read 5758 times)
hs
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

hyphybook2007.pdf
Nov 27th, 2010 at 4:08pm

Here are some questions for Exercise in Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login.

# 2.3.4 Previewing trees in HyPhy
It is stated that 'HyPhy can plot the tree in several conventional styles (e.g. slanted, radial) that are selected from the ‘Tree Style’ tab, but defaults to plotting ‘rectangular’ trees as shown in Fig. 2.2.', but only 'Rectangular' is shown at 'Tree Style' with my tree files on Mac OS X (10.5.8).

# 2.3.5 Making an alignment
when I Execute StandardAnalyses>Data File Tools>SeqAlignment.bf, after choosing 'No' in the window called 'Insert a coordinate reference sequence?', the three windows ('Sequence File', 'Include outliers', and 'Try reverse complements?') appear before 'Choose Genetic Code'. updated?

# 2.3.6 Estimating a tree
'Use MeanPairwiseDivergence' for which tree? 'Inferred_Tree' or 'InfluenzaA_H3_fixed_fas_nuc_Inferred_Tree'?
it is stated that 'Save the results via File>Save choosing Include sequence data, NEXUS option from the pull down menu in the file dialog'. I did it on the window called 'DataSet InfluenzaA_H3_fixed_fas' out of the four windows. correct?

# 2.4.1 Fitting a global model in the HyPhy GUI
it is stated that 'Finally, save the likelihood function with all parameter estimates by switching back to the data panel, executing File>Save>Save, and choosing Include sequence data, NEXUS as a format option in the save dialog.' I did it on the window called 'DataSet InfluenzaA_H3_Random352' out of the five windows. correct?

# 2.5.1 Fitting a local codon model in HyPhy
'select the topology included with file' indicates which of 'MammalsBirds_tree' or 'MammalsBirds_TREE'?
I invoked 'Likelihood>Enter Command' and typed:
global globalRatio=1;ReplicateConstraint("this1.?.nonSynRate:=globalRatio*this2.?.synRa
te",MammalsBirds_tree,MammalsBirds_tree);
I selected (Likelihood>Optimize LF) because I cannot invoke (Likelihood>Optimize).

# 2.6.3 Single-likelihood ancestor counting (SLAC)
I invoke 'Standard Analyses > Positive Selection > QuickSelectionDetection.bf',
for the 'Ancestor Counting Options' dialog, I selected 'Single Ancestor Counting' because I cannot find 'Single likelihood ancestor'.
'the codon has an expected 1.1 synonymous sites (out of 3)' - why 3?
'this scaling enables the comparison across different datasets' - Scaled dN-dS calculated from different genes and different number of taxa can be compared?

# 2.6.4 Fixed effects likelihood (FEL)
How to (i) conduct a FEL analysis with the same settings except test for selection only within the mammalian clade, rooted at internal node Node4, and (ii) do a 'branch-site' type analysis on Node4?

# $typo =~ s/Yabg/Yang/;
(5) Test for positive selection using the approach of Nielsen and Yabg,
would read
(5) Test for positive selection using the approach of Nielsen and Yang,

IP Logged

hs
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Re: hyphybook2007.pdf
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 10:17am

How to 'export the best fitting nucleotide model by writing the likelihood function object to a NEXUS-formatted file' from a command-line?
When I selected '(2):[Yes] Save each of the 203 files to a separate file' for '|Save each of the 203 fits?|' in NucModelCompare.bf, and then selected '(2):[Restore] Restore an earlier nucleotide fit' for '|New/Restore|' and gave the file in QuickSelectionDetection.bf, HYPHY printed the following error messages.
##########
Error:
DataSet/DataSetFilter nucData has not been initialized

Function call stack
1 : Harvest Frequencies into matrix positionFrequencies from DataSet nucData with unit size = 3 with atom size = 1 with position specific flag = 1 Partition:
##########

[references] hyphybook2007.pdf
# 2.3.7 Estimating nucleotide biases
It is usually a good idea to export the best fitting nucleotide model by writing the likelihood function object to a NEXUS-formatted file, which is carried out in HyPhy by selecting the menu option ‘Analysis > Results > Save Results > Export Analysis’. In section 2.6, we will describe how to import the fitted nucleotide model from this file into a selection analysis.          
# 2.6.1 Preliminary analysis set-up
(ii) New/Restore — Restore nucleotide model parameter estimates from a previous analysis. Choosing ‘Restore’ requires you to select a file that contains a previously exported likelihood function, which will also contain the sequence data and tree. This option allows you to iteratively run the batch file under different settings without having to re-optimize the same nucleotide model for every session. It also provides a convenient means of importing the best-fitting nucleotide model from the automated model selection procedure implemented in the batch file NucModelCompare.bf (see section 2.3.7).

IP Logged

hs
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 1:15pm

Are there a list of 6 character for all standard or ‘named’ models of nucleotide substitution (e.g:010010 defines HKY85)?
Does 012345 define General Reversible Model?

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 3:06pm

Hi hs,

F81 : 000000
HKY85 : 010010
TrN93 : 010020
REV : 012345

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 3:07pm

Hi hs,

F81 : 000000
HKY85 : 010010
TrN93 : 010020
REV : 012345

Cheers,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

hs
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 11:44am

Running QuickSelectionDetection.bf (SLAC or FEL) from a command-line prints 'Save nucleotide model fit to::'. Likewise, can I save only the best fitting nucleotide model to a NEXUS-formatted file when I implement NucModelCompare.bf from a command-line?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

IP Logged

hs
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 11:17am

In SLAC and FEL, selecting '(3):[Estimate] Estimate from data with branch corrections(slower)' rather than '(5):[Estimate dN/dS only]' at 'dN/dS bias parameter options' tend to produce dN/dS = 0/0 rather than dN/dS = inf (∞)?
The sites with dN/dS = inf (∞) can be declared to be under positive selection if p-value < 0.05?

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Hi hs,

Can you paste in the console output for your file when you see dN/dS =0/0?
I am not sure I understand what the problem is.

Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 3:25pm

Hi hs,

hs wrote on Dec 7th, 2010 at 11:44am:
Running QuickSelectionDetection.bf (SLAC or FEL) from a command-line prints 'Save nucleotide model fit to::'. Likewise, can I save only the best fitting nucleotide model to a NEXUS-formatted file when I implement NucModelCompare.bf from a command-line?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

1). You mean that when you provide input values to SLAC/FEL from a config list, you see the message printed on the screen? That is normal behavior: the program prints a prompt regardless of whether or not the input is provided from the console or from the pre-populated list.

2). Not directly from NucModelCompare.bf -- the file is preprogrammed to save either nothing or everything.

Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

hs
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 4:22pm

I wonder if I could conclude that the site with p-value < 0.05 are under positive selection even if the site has dS = 0?
dN/dS =0/0 is not the console output but the statement in hyphybook2007.pdf ('β /α may assume the undefined value 0/0 or ∞' as pasted below).
##########
2.6.4 Fixed effects likelihood (FEL)
dN/dS - the ratio of β /α for the branches of interest (could be undefined or infinite if α is estimated to be 0)
2.5.1 Fitting a local codon model in HyPhy
It is not unusual for estimates of α or β to converge to zero for one or more branches in a tree. Clearly, this outcome implies that there is insufficient sequence variation to support a branch of non-zero length in that part of the tree. If this occurs, then local estimates of the ratio β /α may assume the undefined value 0/0 or ∞. As a result, the tree will not be displayed properly in the HyPhy tree viewer window when it is scaled to β /α. Selection analyses performed on such trees, however, will not be affected by these poorly-defined branch lengths.
##########

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 4:56pm

Hi hs,

hs wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 10:17am:
How to 'export the best fitting nucleotide model by writing the likelihood function object to a NEXUS-formatted file' from a command-line?
When I selected '(2):[Yes] Save each of the 203 files to a separate file' for '|Save each of the 203 fits?|' in NucModelCompare.bf, and then selected '(2):[Restore] Restore an earlier nucleotide fit' for '|New/Restore|' and gave the file in QuickSelectionDetection.bf, HYPHY printed the following error messages.
##########
Error:
DataSet/DataSetFilter nucData has not been initialized

Function call stack
1 : Harvest Frequencies into matrix positionFrequencies from DataSet nucData with unit size = 3 with atom size = 1 with position specific flag = 1 Partition:
##########

It would appear that the likelihood function output generated by NucModelCompare.bf is not directly importable by QuickSelectionDetection.bf. The text in the book is in error. Thanks for pointing this out. If you replace NucModelCompare.bf with the file that I have attached, this should be fixed.

Thanks for the bug report!

Sergei

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (24 KB | )

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged