Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

issues installing/running GARD (Read 1816 times)
CrystalH
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

issues installing/running GARD
Nov 16th, 2010 at 3:26pm

Hello.  I am working with a two datasets that are roughly 3000nt in length with 126 and 75 sequences, which is why I am not able to use the online version of GARD for recombination detection.  Even when I remove 26 sequences of the first dataset I am only able to identify a single breakpoint because not all breakpoints are examined.  Using HyPHY standalone is easy enough, but I am not able to run GARD without the MPI environment, which I do not even begin to understand.  Is there an alternative?  I do believe MPI is installed on a Linux machine that is available to me (because when I enter $mpicc, I do not get an error), but when I try to download HyPHY to that machine using the commands you provide, I get an error!

-bash: svn: command not found

Is there an alternative to using GARD in the MPI environment?  I saw on another post that you do have a serial version of GARD...are you making that available, and can it be used on a PC?  If not, are there any other recombination detection methods available, that you would recommend, that can ID multiple breakpoints that may affect a topology?  Thank you!  Huh

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: issues installing/running GARD
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 12:58pm

Hi Crystal,

Your Linux box seems to be missing SVN (which is a package used to manage source code); but I wouldn't recommend running GARD on large alignments on a single PC -- that would take too long. You can send me your alignment by e-mail and I can run it through GARD on our cluster; this is probably the easiest solution for a one-off analysis. There are many programs for detecting recombination - you can always try Dave Robertson's page at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (although it may be a bit out of date).

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

CrystalH
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Re: issues installing/running GARD
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 3:39pm

Thank you so much Smiley!  I will send it to you right now!

IP Logged