HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Overlapping Genes (Read 3277 times)
Lee Smith
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Overlapping Genes
Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:32pm

Hi
I've been using SLAC, FEL and REL to identify codons under positive and negative selection in genes of CMV. So far, I've just been analysing each gene individually. However, in the virus several genes are overlapping (mostly on the opposite strand). Does this need to be taken into account, and if so does anyone have any ideas of how to do it?

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Overlapping Genes
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 3:14pm

Hi Lee,

Yes, this should be taken into account, but there is no proper way (other than complex MCMC treatment in a limited setting, which HyPhy can't do) to do so.

Do you see islands of low variability in overlapping regions?

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Lee Smith
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 12:05am

Thanks Sergei

Most of the genes which are overlapping are 'core' genes, which are highly conserved - I suppose in this case there won't be any bias in the analysis, as there isn't much variability.

I'm still analysing the sequences, but it looks to me that in the 'non-core' genes, the overlapping regions of the genes are much more conserved than the non-overlapping regions. Makes sense I suppose. Even in these genes, there aren't many codons predicted as being under positive selection.
Interestingly, almost all of the predicted recombination sites within these genes are in non-overlapping regions - all of this seems to be pointing me (I think) towards the conclusion that CMV 'evolves' by recombination rather than by drift/selection.

IP Logged

Art Poon
Global Moderator

Feed your monkey!

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 10:10am

Actually, a bias towards finding recombination breakpoints in less conserved regions suggests to me that there is simply more power to detect breakpoints in those regions..

Cheers,
- Art.

IP Logged