Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

BranchSite REL and Bayes Factors (Read 3551 times)
fabia
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

BranchSite REL and Bayes Factors
May 25th, 2011 at 4:32pm

Dear all,

I am using the REL method to estimate the omega for each site of my alignment. I followed the tutorial on the InfluenzaA_H3_Random35.nex file that outlines two steps:
1. run dNdSRateAnalysis.bf to evaluate if synonymous rates vary from codon to codon
2. run dNdSResultProcessor.bf to find which sites are under positive selection.

The threshold given in the exercise for positive selection is a Bayes Factor of 50 but I was not able to find a good explanation for this number. Is it data set specific? Obviously, lowering this number will give larger number of positively selected sites so I think it is a rather important parameter and I would like to know the reasoning to apply to choose an appropriate value.

Thanks,
Fabia

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: BranchSite REL and Bayes Factors
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2011 at 10:20am

Hi Fabia,

I tend to think of Bayes Factors (in this setting) as the reciprocals of p-values. 1/50 ~ p-value 0.02. The most sensible way to choose a BF (or a p-value) is to confirm that the test has a proper size, and then decide what your tolerance to false positives is. There is no compelling reason to use p=0.05 or p=0.01 -- it's just a matter of convention.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

fabia
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2011 at 10:31am

Hi Sergei,

thanks for the answer!

I have another very quick question: in HyPhy I can use branch models (global or local) or site models to estimate the omega. If I use a site model with local parameters will that be similar to a branch-site model (like the ones implemented in PamL)?

Fabia

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2011 at 10:33am

Hi Fabia,

No -- for the analog of branch-site models, please use Branch-Site REL (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login)

Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

fabia
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2011 at 10:38am

Perfect, I will try that.

Thanks!
Fabia

IP Logged

fabia
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2011 at 11:45am

Hi Sergei,

I did a test run with the BranchSiteRel.bf file that you suggested. I have three questions:

1. this method is supposed to identify the branches under episodic selection. Is it the same as saying branches under positive selection?

2. the csv file produced lists the percentage of site that are at a given omega for each branch. So, if I have this output:

Branch      Mean_dNdS      Omega1      P1      Omega2      P2      Omega3      P3      LRT      p      p_Holm
SRC1      0.382373      0.380406      0.958053      0.623567      2.44E-08      0.630251      0.0419473      0      1      1

Am I correct in saying that for branch SRC1 96% of the sites have an omega of 0.38, 0.0000024% omega=0.62, and 4% omega=0.63? In this case, omega2 and omega3 are very similar, why are they separated in different categories?

3. Is there a way to get the list of sites under positive selection?

Thanks again,
fabia

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

UCSD
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:04pm

Hi Fabia,

1). By definition, episodic selection in this context means selection along a subset of branches, so you are correct; the method looks for evidence of positive selection along individual branches at a non-zero proportion of sites.

2). Your interpretation is correct. The number of categories is selected a priori (3), and it your particular case that's too many -- you effectively have 2 rate classes. Note that the 2nd rate class has no sites in it (P2 ~ 10-8).

3). We have a separate method for that (in preparation). The sample size for inferring selection along one site along one branch is 1, hence we can either infer branches where SOME sites have undergone selection (BranchSiteREL) or sites where SOME branches have undergone selection -- not both.

HTH,
Sergei

Associate Professor
School of Medicine
WWW WWW  
IP Logged