Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Site with very high dN not significant in FEL and FUBAR (Read 3779 times)
jhughes
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Site with very high dN not significant in FEL and FUBAR
Nov 29th, 2013 at 6:17am

Hi,

I have been looking at the output from FEL and FUBAR on a set of analyses from different genes. In one gene, I have a site with a dN > 6 and dS = 0 which IS NOT significant. In another gene, the highest dN I have is 3.78 and dS = 0 and this IS significant for both FUBAR and REL.
There are the same number of sequences for both genes so I dont think it is a samples size issue.
I would be really grateful if someone could explain why this may be. 

Kind regards,
Joseph

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Site with very high dN not significant in FEL and FUBAR
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 11:37am

Hi Joseph,

You should NEVER look at point estimates for guidance, because they give you no indication of variance. For example, your site with dN = 6 and dS = 0 could have only one non-synonymous substitution along a short branch, and the LRT (which accounts for variance) is not significant, e.g. because dN = 6 +/- 3 and dS = 0 +/- 5 (hypothetically speaking).

The number of sequences is only one component of the "effective" sample size: FUBAR and FEL both derive signal from substitutions, i.e. if one site has more substitutions (roughly speaking), it will have a more precise estimate of dN and dS.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

jhughes
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Re: Site with very high dN not significant in FEL and FUBAR
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 1:01am

Hi Sergei,

Thanks for the quick response, it actually makes total sense and was quite a silly question now that I think of it.

Cheers,
Joseph

IP Logged