Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

How to understand the discordance of GARD and SBR? (Read 3134 times)
kevintz
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

How to understand the discordance of GARD and SBR?
Sep 14th, 2010 at 11:55pm

Hi,
I use datamonkey for recombination analysis. GARD indicated no evidence of recombination, but SBR(Single Breakpoint Recombination) methods indicated that there was a breakpoint at 193, with a support of >99%, whether recombination inferred using AIC or cAIC.
I am not sure about the discordance. Is there any recombiantion in my sequence?
THanks in advance.
kevintz

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: How to understand the discordance of GARD and SBR?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 7:13am

Hi kevintz,

Can you include the links to SBP and GARD result pages?

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

kevintz
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 6:26am

Thanks for your reply. I still cannot figure it out.
The following is the result page.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

Another question, the selected best fit model by jmodeltest is TIM2+G(010232) for my dateset (20 sequences with 1485bp long), but by the datamonkey server the best model is TrN model (010020), How to treat with the different results. And when I try to use 010020 model by changing one AC to CT according to the model selection result page, and run SBP or GARD, the rusults showed the model is 010040. I wonder how to fix it.
THanks a lot Smiley

IP Logged

kevintz
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 8:58am

One more question I put here for your convenience.
I read your step-by-step introduction about selection detection on the datamonkey (titled Detecting signatures of selection from DNA sequence using DATAMONKEY) on the book "Bioinformatics for DNA Sequence Analysis", and found it much helpful. I tried to perform the analysis in the book according the instruction. I downloaded and submitted the data (pol-1.nex and Flu.fasta) to the Datamonkey server to screen their recombination and selection pressure, and found the results were somewhat different from that your book discribed.  I am puzzled about the results, and asking for your help.
For Data pol-1.nex, the GARD result showed 5 breakpoints in all, 3 of which are different from those described in the Data pol.nex. The line is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login
For Data Flu.fasta, HKY85 model (010010) was selected. GARD showed recombination happens and two breakpoints were found. The recombination was not refered in the book. the link was followed.Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login

THanks.
Kevintz

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 3:26pm

Hi Kevin,

You are referring to the alignment from section 3.10 in Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login, namely Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login right?

For this alignment, the key is to include rate variation in the analysis set up (see the attached screen shot). Without rate variation, the boundaries between more/less variable stretches of the gene can be identified as recombination breakpoints. If you use rate variation, the results are mostly congruent with the book chapter (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login). We've revised the algorithm and HyPhy optimization routines a bit since the book was published, and since the procedure is also stochastic, some 'wobble' in the location of inferred breakpoints is expected (but look at the confidence intervals as well). Notice that the new GARD output includes breakpoint-by-breakpoint phylogenetic incongruence evaluation.

As for the influenza example, the fact that GARD infers breakpoints, could point to heterotachy or other process which generate discordant phylogenetic signal but are not recombination events. I think all the book says is that intra-gene recombination is thought to be rare in Influenza, but

Sorry for the confusion.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

kevintz
YaBB Newbies

Feed your monkey!

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 4:39am

THANKS a lot. I get it.

but how can I know rate variation should be included in my dataset?
On the resulting page of GARD analysis results, If the model used is different with model selected by datamonkey, does that mean the rate variation should be considered??

IP Logged