Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Interpreting trees from GA-Branch (Read 3379 times)
JB
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

Interpreting trees from GA-Branch
Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:40pm

Hi,

I am trying to re-draw a tree from the GA-Branch output because the output seems to collapse everything into a polytomy (though I gave a tree that shows the relationships).  I have attached a file that has two re-drawn trees based off of the GA-branch outputs on the second page.  I have colored an internal branch that is missing from the GA-Branch output in gray (meaning there is no value), but I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it.  Should the gray branch be the same as the other branch that splits from this node ? In general, how do we interpret these internal branches when they are collapsed in the output?  Thanks for your help!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login (211 KB | 1 )

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: Interpreting trees from GA-Branch
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 11:38am

Hi JB,

1). GABranch uses time-reversible models, hence the placement of the root is indeterminate. HyPhy automatically "unroots" rooted trees, because that's what the analysis is run on.

2). GABranch has been deprecated in favor of BranchSiteREL (also available on datamonkey). Essentially, GABranch does not allow site to site rate variation (only branch to branch), but BranchSiteREL can do both. The result is considerably more power.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged