Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

What method(s) to use for positive selection (intraspecific var) (Read 3894 times)
Hernan
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

What method(s) to use for positive selection (intraspecific var)
Mar 30th, 2014 at 9:11pm

Hello,

After a quick glimpse in publications I can see that often people use all the methods available to scan for positive selection. I can see the difference between the counting methods and bayes, but I can't think of a reason why to use all the possible methods as opposed to only the most comprehensive one (like FUBAR). Maybe FUBAR and MEME (to account for episodic selection) are enough, and ML methods not needed?

I'm working with complete mitogenomes, on two highly divergent mitochondrial haplogroups (ND2: 6.6%, in birds is species level divergence) and its sister species.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Sergei
YaBB Administrator

Datamonkeys are forever...

UCSD
Re: What method(s) to use for positive selection (intraspecific var)
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2014 at 12:30pm

Hi Hernan,

I agree that it is not necessary to run all methods you can get your hands on (especially since some are strictly inferior to others).

My workflow suggestion would be this (not that all these methods are ML based; the only thing that differs is how significance is called)

1). Run FUBAR (because it is very quick) to look for evidence of pervasive diversifying selection at SITES
2). Run MEME (if desired) to look for evidence of episodic diversifying selection at SITES (if all is well, all or most of the FUBAR results should be in this list is well, because pervasive selection is a particular case of episodic selection)
3). Run BranchSiteREL (if desired) to look for evidence of episodic diversifying selection along LINEAGES.

Sergei

Associate Professor
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Biomedical Informatics
School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Hernan
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 12:12am

Thanks heaps Sergei!

IP Logged

Hernan
YaBB Newbies

Curious HyPhy user

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2014 at 5:45pm

Hello Sergei,

I followed your recommendation, thanks! I was wondering if you can help me with another question.
Is there a reported comparison of the sensitivity of FUBAR vs. MEME. I got way more positive sites with MEME, is that expected?
I'm working with within lineages fixed aa replacements only. With MEME i get some positive results in terminal branches, usually only 1 individual per lineage. This are the episodic signal of selection, isn't it?

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Hernan

Sergei wrote on Mar 31st, 2014 at 12:30pm:
Hi Hernan,

I agree that it is not necessary to run all methods you can get your hands on (especially since some are strictly inferior to others).

My workflow suggestion would be this (not that all these methods are ML based; the only thing that differs is how significance is called)

1). Run FUBAR (because it is very quick) to look for evidence of pervasive diversifying selection at SITES
2). Run MEME (if desired) to look for evidence of episodic diversifying selection at SITES (if all is well, all or most of the FUBAR results should be in this list is well, because pervasive selection is a particular case of episodic selection)
3). Run BranchSiteREL (if desired) to look for evidence of episodic diversifying selection along LINEAGES.

Sergei

IP Logged